1. What are some factors that contributed to the rapid industrialization of the U.S. at the beginning of the 19th Century?
2. How was the intense need for labor accomplished during U.S. industrialization?
3. From where were immigrants arriving and where did immigrants live in the U.S.?
4. How did capitalism give a minority of elite, rich, industrialists so much power?
5. What were 2 major products being manufactured during this time?
6. What were the attitudes of the elites toward workers?
7. How did social Darwinism fit into the philosophy of the elite?
8. Briefly describe some of the working conditions of workers
9. How did workers respond to their conditions?
10. What was the impact of the Industrial Revolution on the environment?
11. By the 1900s what kinds of organizations were created to deal with the adverse effects of the Industrial revolution
Questions on Chapter 5
12. What was the significance of the 1893 World’s Columbia Exposition with regard to U.S. perspectives on race?
13. What/who is Jim Crow and what impact did Jim Cow have on the lives of free Black people in the U.S.? How did it fit into the “NEW” South?
14. Ku Klux Klan: What were some of the factors that led to the rise of this White Supremist group
15. Manifest Destiny. We know that Manifest destiny is an ideology of Euro/White superiority that justifies the control and takeover of land and resources of others. How did Manifest Destiny play out in the westward expansion with regard to the land and the people who lived on that land?
16. Mexicans: Give 2 ways that landowning Mexicans became landless peasants after the Mexican American War?
17. Chinese: Give 2 reasons for the Chinese Exclusion Act
18. In what years was Hawaii colonized. Briefly describe two ways that Hawaii was colonized.
19. Under what president did the Spanish American War occur? Briefly describe what the U.S. gained by winning it?
20. What characterized the U.S. national identity in the last quarter of the 19th Century?