The van Oost article you read this week (“Materialized Gender: How Shavers Configure the Users’ Femininity and Masculinity”) demonstrated how the technologies we use in our everyday lives are both the products of a gendered culture and help reinforce those gender roles. For this week’s discussion assignment, you are to perform a similar analysis.
Begin by selecting a television or magazine advertisement for a technology of some form. Post a 2- to 3-paragraph analysis of the underling gender assumptions and representations made within the advertisement. You must support your argument with evidence from the learning resources using appropriate APA standards. Be sure to address the following in your initial post:
- Describe the advertisement. What technology is being advertised and how?
- Who is the intended audience? Male? Female? Both? How do you know?
- Is the technology truly gendered or is it simply being advertised that way?
- What gender themes are present in the advertisement? Analyze the underlying assumptions and representations.
- How does this particular product challenge or reinforce gender stereotypes in our society?