The first of six steps of performance management consists of goal setting, as detailed in Chapter Three. Assume that you work for the Los Angeles Tribune, a large but struggling newspaper publisher with distribution throughout the Los Angeles region. Various problems have arisen that need to be addressed:
- The cost of paper is rising
- The cost of distribution is rising
- Advertising revenue is down, largely due to free online listings offered by Craigslist and other online advertising services
You have been selected by the CEO to construct a goal-setting framework that focuses on three of the six issues above. In your APA formatted two- to three-page paper, include a goal statement for each of the three issues you’ve chosen and describe the corresponding strategies, tactics, activities, measures of success, and goal measurements you recommend. Support each with your rationale, citing the textbook as necessary, and be sure to provide specific examples within the activities section. In addition to your two to three pages of written content, a title page and reference page are required.
For this assignment, it is possible to make reasonable assumptions regarding the organization’s economic situation and business climate. Be sure to specifically mention any such assumptions that you are making within your paper.
Define of Goal Setting: Goal Statements
The goal statement defines the output or end resultexpected. It helps to answer the following questions:
- What are you trying to accomplish, fundamentally, with this effort?
- What will change as a result of this effort?
- What will be different?
We suggest defining goal statements at high levels, suchas the following:
- Increase customer satisfaction.
- Increase profits.
- Build a customer-focused culture.
- Create a high-performing culture.