No directly quoted material may be used in this project paper.
Resources should be summarized or paraphrased with appropriate in-text and Resource
Final Project: Case Study: Police Department Consent Decree/Agreement
Case Study: Police Department Consent Decree/Agreement
You are assigned to the Research and Development Unit of the Virtual Police Department. The Unit
Director asked you to prepare a presentation for the Chief on U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ)
consent decrees and agreements. It seems one of the Chief’s close professional colleagues is now
subject to such an agreement. The Chief wants to be sure he has done everything possible to avoid
finding the Virtual Police Department in a similar predicament. The format of the presentation is quite
simple. Using a selected city that is currently under (or recently been under) a DOJ consent
decree/agreement as reference, provide the Chief with direction on how to avoid being subject to DOJ
Review the document, “Addressing Police Misconduct Laws Enforced by the Department of Justice
Link : /content/enforced/145914-001420-01-2165-OL1-6380/Police Misconduct Laws Enforced by
or the same document using an alternate link
Select one of the following as your subject case study police department:
1. The Oakland (California) Police
Department http://www2.oaklandnet.com/government/o/OPD/DOWD004998 and
2. The Seattle (Washington) Police Department https://www.justice.gov/crt/investigationdocuments
3. The Baltimore (Maryland) Police Department https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justicedepartment-reaches-agreement-city-baltimore-reform-police-department-s
Research: Starting with the link provided, continue your research on the basis for and actions
attentive to the subject consent decree/agreement, Review all of the pertinent documents, articles,
websites, etc. until you feel you have a thorough understanding sufficient to respond to the
Final Project – CCJS 340 6380 Law Enforcement Administration (2178) Page 1 of 3
Due October 15 at 11:59 PM
1. Briefly describe the situation(s) and/or event(s) that led up to DOJ oversight in the form of a
consent decree/agreement (no more than 20% of the paper)
2. Briefly outline the provisions of the consent decree/agreement. What actions is the
department required to take? What changes is the department required to make?(no more
than 20% of the paper)
3. Connect the provisions of the consent decree/agreement to the initiating causes.
4. Describe in detail what the Virtual Police Department needs to do in order to avoid following
in the footsteps of the subject police department or otherwise find itself subject to DOJ
oversight in he form of a consent decree/agreement (no less than 40% of the paper)
Formatting requirements: Your report should include:
◦ a cover page with your name, project title, course, and date submitted
◦ an introductory section that explains the purpose of the paper
◦ the body of the paper, which addresses four (4) elements outlined in Assignments
◦ a minimum of seven (7) maximum of 10 FULL narrative pages, not including cover page
and references page and submit to the assignments folder.
◦ The composition may be a combination of outline and narrative with outline statements
separated by no more than double spacing, 12 pt. font, and 1 inch margins.
◦ A minimum of three (3) outside sources not directly connected to the consent
decree/agreement of the selected subject police department
◾ Resources, including course materials, must be cited both in the narrative and on
a separate Resources page, using APA citation rules.
◾ Each item listed on the Resources page must also be cited at least once in the
narrative to show where in the narrative the item was applied.
◦ At the instructor’s discretion, this project may be submitted to Turnitin or other service
for verification of originality.
No submissions yet. Drag and drop to upload your assignment below.
Drop files here, or click below!
Upload Record Audio Choose Existing
Task: Submit to complete this assignment Assessment
Final Project – CCJS 340 6380 Law Enforcement Administration (2178) Page 2 of 3
A MODEL Rubric for
CCJS Projects – Max
Last Visited Sep 15, 2017 5:52 AM
Final Project – CCJS 340 6380 Law Enforcement Administration (2178) Page 3 of 3
Prime Essay Services , written from scratch, delivered on time, at affordable rates!