1. The amount of substance dissolved or suspended in a body of water divided by the rate at which the substance is added or removed to the system is called ____.
Answer a. residence time b. equilibrium constant c. mixing time d. solution coefficient
1. The standard pH range for seawater is ____.
Answer a. 5.5 – 6.2 b. 5.5 – 9.7 c. 7.8 – 8.3 d. 8.4 – 8.9
1. Water’s heat capacity, freezing temperature, evaporation rate, and osmotic pressure are all affected by a change in salinity. These properties that change with salinity are know as ____.
Answer a. associative properties b. restorative properties c. colligative properties d. precipitative properties
1. We call the ocean salty because it contains dissolved components of salts such as: NaCl, KCl, CaSO4, and CaCO3. When these salts dissolve they dissociate into components that are technically no longer salts, but are called ____.
Answer a. Molecules b. Compounds c. Atoms d. Elements e. Ions
1. The pH of seawater is generally slightly alkaline, but tends to vary depending on a variety of factors. What is the main factor that dictates the hydrogen ion concentration (pH) in the ocean?
Answer a. latitude of the ocean b. amount of dissolved carbon dioxide in the water c. surface blooms of phytoplankton d. temperature e. salinity
1. What group of substances acts to stabilize the pH of any given solution?
Answer a. Reagent b. Solute c. Buffer d. Reactant
1. Which of the following bodies of sea water has the lowest freezing temperature?
Answer a. Makaha Beach on the island of Oahu, Hawaii. b. The Dead Sea. c. The Mediterranean Sea at Gibralter. d. A glacial fjord on the Alaskan coast.
1. The ____, usually a liquid, is always the more abundant constituent; the ____, often a dissolved salt or gas, is the less abundant.
Answer a. mixture, ion b. solute, solvent c. ion, mixture d. solvent, solute
1. Which one of the following types of molecular bonding is characterized by electrostatic attraction that exists between ions having opposite charges.
Answer a. Ionic bonds b. Nuclear bonds c. Electric bounds d. Hydrogen bonds
1. Water vapor condenses into liquid water by the process of ____.
Answer a. buffer b. precipitation c. diffusion d. solution
1. The heat capacity of water ____ with increasing salinity.
Answer a. increases b. decreases c. does not change
1. Of all ions in seawater, which one of the following is the most abundant?
Answer a. Magnetism b. Chloride c. Sodium d. Sulfate
1. The method for measuring salinity and total dissolved solids by measuring how well a current of electrons moves through the solution is called ____.
Answer a. pH scaling b. Current motility c. Electrical conductivity d. Shock trajectory e. Turbidity testing
1. ____ are substances that are dissolved in seawater having short residence times, and are tied to biological cycles, seasonal cycles, or to very short geological cycles?
Answer a. Conservative constituents b. Nonradical constituents c. Nonconservative constituents d. Radical constituents
1. In which one of the following regions do gasses dissolve most readily?
Answer a. Polar region b. Equatorial region c. Mid-latitude region d. Tropical region
1. The most abundant gas in seawater as well as in the atmosphere is ____.
Answer a. oxygen b. methane c. nitrogen d. carbon dioxide
1. Which one of the following gasses in seawater must be fixed into useful chemical forms by specialized organisms in order to be assimilated by animals?
Answer a. Hydrogen b. Oxygen c. Nitrogen d. Carbon dioxide
1. Oxygen levels are slightly higher in ____.
Answer a. Water above the thermocline b. Water above the pycnocline c. Warm surface water d. Cool deep water
1. Which one of the following is a substance that releases a hydrogen ion into an aqueous solution?
Answer a. Acid b. Alkaline c. Base d. All of above
1. Human tissue averages over 70% by weight of the solvent water. What prevents our own tissues from dissolving in this strong solvent?
Answer a. constant regeneration b. repulsion c. isotonicity d. non-polar oils ORDER THIS ESSAY HERE NOW AND GET A DISCOUNT !!!
Order Similar Assignment Now!
- Our Support Staff are online 24/7
- Our Writers are available 24/7
- Most Urgent order is delivered within 4 Hrs
- 100% Original Assignment Plagiarism report can be sent to you upon request.
GET 15 % DISCOUNT TODAY use the discount code PAPER15 at the order form.